Talentless Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next next generation consoles?

4 posters

Go down

The next next generation consoles? Empty The next next generation consoles?

Post  mrcrowley24 Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I believe that in 2012 a new console will be released and I think that at E3 or by the end of this year one of the big 3 companies will announce plans for their next console. Who do you think will be first out the door?

My bet is Nintendo. Let me explain:

Nintendo's wii, while good for the loyal fans, has ran out of steam and really needs to be superseded. It was always sub-par in terms of graphics, but it really has shown the last 2.5-3 years since xbox360/ps3 have gotten some great looking games. The only thing the wii had going for it was the motion controls and the others now have their own versions. The only reason that nintendo may not announce is that the 3DS is being released this year and they may want to focus on that. However, Nintendo have been last out the door for the past 3 generation of consoles and they would be stupid to do so again.

Xbox360 is very much dated and on its last legs, plus its the oldest of the 3 current consoles. It may try and hold out due to kinect being released fairly recently, but Microsoft are stupid to think that it can hold itself against PS3. It will be a tie between xbox and nintendo who release first.

PS3 is in the best position out of the three. The graphics look the best out of the consoles and there are more and more exclusives coming to it than the others. I know sony like to do the whole 10 years plan with their consoles (and no doubt that PS3 will last for another 5 years), but they have to remain competitive and can't let microsoft gain the upper hill by letting them release before them (like 360 did a year before PS3 and gain a big userbase).

Anyways, enough of my ranting. I am quite passionate about gaming and interested in hearing everyone else's opinion's. So what are they?
mrcrowley24
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Kudos : 19

Back to top Go down

The next next generation consoles? Empty Re: The next next generation consoles?

Post  wottagunn Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:39 pm

meh, Sony need not to release another console for years. The Wii is a piece of shit so I can see Nintendo releasing a console. They are not competition in terms of actual gaming so there's no issue there. Microsoft will always pump something out simply for the money. I am fine with them releasing a console in the next two years, only for Sony to release a far superior one in 4 or 5 years.

With the amount of support Sony are getting, and with the constant new features via PSN, the PS3 will only get better.
wottagunn
wottagunn
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Kudos : 55

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 am

wottagunn wrote:meh, Sony need not to release another console for years. The Wii is a piece of shit so I can see Nintendo releasing a console. They are not competition in terms of actual gaming so there's no issue there. Microsoft will always pump something out simply for the money. I am fine with them releasing a console in the next two years, only for Sony to release a far superior one in 4 or 5 years.

With the amount of support Sony are getting, and with the constant new features via PSN, the PS3 will only get better.

Pretty much this.
I think nintendo will hold out mainly due to the release of the 3DS and make that their big thing for this year. However they may release news on the fact that they are producing a new console. Microsoft will no doubt have some news this year about a new console. Apparently there has been job offers going at microsoft to do with the xbox team ( read it on IGN or something ). If microsoft release something new in the next couple of years i don't think it will hurt the playstation community too much. Anything they pump out is going to be more pricey than the ps3 so people will be happy with what they have (unless you're an xbox fanatic).
The PS3 is in its prime right now. Its very hard to make games for the PS3 because its not as straight forward as the Xbox or Wii, but dev's are starting to get it right, making some amazing ps3 exclusives. I think i read that there are 20 exclusives coming out this year for Ps3 or something which is great news. This is by far one of the best years for the playstation.
In all if either of the other companies release another console its because the one they have now is falling short of general standards. The ps3 is going strong and is still getting better and better each month. I look forward to hearing news on what sony's next project is, but for the moment, im happy with what i have. Its more than enough.
Gasman40
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Kudos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  fuchswagen Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:11 am

According to David Jaffe there will be 1 more generation of consoles released and then never again. Most likely gaming will turn out to be like steam or "cloud" based libraries of games.
fuchswagen
fuchswagen
Sergeant
Sergeant

Kudos : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 am

There are some rumors floating around that the PS4 will not allow 2nd hand games to be played and will not allow backwards compatibility with PS3 games.

What does everyone think about that?

In both instances I think it sucks. I hardly ever buy games 2nd these days, but a lot of people dont have the money to pay the RRP for games and they would be pissed. Plus there goes a lot of business for game-shop owners and video shops renting games out. I thought the idea of an online pass (eg $10) for online MP games is a good idea for publishers getting money for 2nd hand games.

Backwards compatibility I think is essential in any console. I have bought lots of games over the life of the PS3 and I like the idea of going back to play them in years to come. Lets face it, the PS3 isn't the most reliable console, pretty much everyone I know has had to buy more than one as their original one broke. So I doubt in 5, 10 or 15 years time my PS3 will be working and I hope the PS4, PS5 etc allows me to play my old games!
mrcrowley24
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  Gasman40 Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:22 pm

I agree with that. If i am going to have a library of games i want to be able to play them on my next gen console. Especially if the graphics power is increased and the resolution is as impressive as what is rumoured.
Not only that if sony made the ps3 backwards compatible they'd be sure to come out in front from the word go rather then taking years to catch up. I'm pretty sure it's been said that the next xbox won't play second hand games/ be backwards compatible. If sony made the ps4 backwards compatible you'd probably see a large number of people switch to the brand. They'd go out and buy a swag of cheap $20 ps3 games and play them on the new system.

My only hope for this next iteration of consoles is that they make an even bigger tech upgrade and that the system focusses more on gaming rather than entertainment. I'd hate to see the system sacrifice processing power for some mediocre entertainment functionality. While i like the add on's in my ps3, i don't use all the stuff they have on there (photos, the music streaming program, video streaming programs etc..)
That's just my view though.

When do we reckon it'll be announced? (if this speculation is true)
Gasman40
Gasman40
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Kudos : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  mrcrowley24 Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:25 pm

Hmm, a lot of people are saying that neither will be announced this E3. Still, I think at least one of them will announce. I would have thought xbox would be sooner as its system seems to be on its last legs when it comes to game announcements. While its all good and well sony saying the PS3 is a 10 year investment, they are coming 3rd in terms of sales because xbox360 was out a full year before the PS3.
mrcrowley24
mrcrowley24
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum